8 Tips to Starting a Voice Over Career
1) You must have a strong dream to get you through the dry times as you get started in VO industry.
2) Be sure to get ready before you start offering your services.
3) Keep your job, unless you are independently wealthy! You will need finances to train, create a demo, and it takes time to get started. You need tenacity and perseverance.
4) Don’t have unrealistic expectations – that way lies heartache. Just because your friends tell you that you have a great voice and are going to make a ton of money, the fact is the competition is huge.
5) Create a good quality voice over demo (get help with this – it is NOT something to be done on your own).
6) Further to the last tip, do not think you can be self sufficient in this industry. Even the best VO actors get critiques, engage a coach for continual training, and they practice, practice, practice!
7) Get a website up! Some people advise that you should wait until your demo is ready to create a website. But these days an online presence is practically mandatory and you might be losing contacts to hold off until your demo is completed. So create it as soon as you can so people who find the site have something to listen to.
8) Oh, and did we say this already? Practice, practice, practice!
Keep the dream alive. Be realistic and know it will take time. And the more you practice and train, the better your chances of having a fun and rewarding career as a Voice Over artist!